Ham and Rice Casserole
This easy ham and rice bake is made with leftover baked ham, cooked rice, and mixed vegetables, baked with a buttered breadcrumb topping.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 2cups rice (cooked)
- 2cups ham (cooked, diced)
- 1 ½cups mixed vegetables (or peas, green beans, etc., cooked and drained)
- 1(10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup (or cream of celery)
- ½cup milk
- 1cup cheddar cheese (4 ounces, shredded)
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 1cup breadcrumbs (soft, fresh)
- 2tablespoons butter (melted)
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Preheat the oven to 325 F. Spray an 8-inch-square baking dish or similar 1 1/2- to 2-quart casserole with cooking spray.
Step 3In a large bowl, combine cooked rice, ham, vegetables, cream of mushroom soup, milk, and salt and pepper to taste.
Step 4Fold in the shredded cheese; taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
Step 5In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and melted butter; mix thoroughly. Make sure all of the crumbs are well coated with butter.
Step 6Spoon rice and ham mixture into the casserole and spread evenly. Top the mixture with buttered breadcrumbs .
Step 7Bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. For a crunchier topping with more color, place the casserole under the broiler for about 2 to 3 minutes.