Pasta alla Gricia
This recipe is by Florence Fabricant and takes 20 minutes. Tell us what you think of it at The New York Times - Dining - Food.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1pound bucatini or rigatoni
- 1tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1small onion, sliced thin
- 6ounces guanciale, in 1-inch slivers 1/4-inch thick
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓cup grated aged pecorino cheese, more for serving
Step 1Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add bucatini or rigatoni.
Step 2Meanwhile, place a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, add olive oil, onion and guanciale. Cook until onion is translucent and barely starting to brown. Remove from heat.
Step 3When pasta is al dente, drain it, reserving 1 cup pasta water. Transfer pasta to skillet, place over medium-low heat and toss with guanciale and onion. Season with salt and generously with pepper; fold in about half the pasta water and the cheese. Toss, adding more pasta water as needed to help cheese coat pasta. Check seasoning and serve, with more cheese on the side.