Kreatopita (Meat Pie With Phyllo Crust) Recipe
This pie encased in a phyllo crust can be made with beef or lamb and calls for olive oil, wine, tomato paste, rice, onions, garlic, and herbs.
- Serves: 12 persons
- 1quantity of Best Homemade Phyllo for Filled Pies (see below)
- 6to 6 1/4 pounds beef (or lamb, cut in small pieces)
- ⅔cup olive oil
- ½cup dry red wine
- 2teaspoons of salt
- ½teaspoon pepper
- 1tablespoon tomato paste
- 1cup long-grain rice
- 2medium onions (finely chopped)
- 5to 6 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1heaping tablespoon mint (fresh and finely chopped)
- 1heaping tablespoon oregano (fresh and finely chopped)
- 1level tablespoon dill (fresh and finely chopped or fennel leaves)
- 2tablespoons flat-leaf parsley (fresh and finely chopped)
- 3to 4 cups of water
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Sauté the onion and garlic in hot olive oil.
Step 3When the onion softens, add the meat and brown well.
Step 4Dissolve the tomato paste in the wine and stir in, along with salt, pepper, herbs, and water.
Step 5Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until the meat is very tender and there's some liquid in the pan. (Cooking time and the amount of water needed will depend on the meat. If more water is needed during cooking, add boiling water.)
Step 6Stir in rice and turn off heat. Prepare the phyllo.
Step 7Preheat oven to 340F (170C). Oil a 16 1/2 x 12 inch pan (or equivalent).
Step 8Place the bottom sheet of phyllo on the bottom and spread filling evenly.
Step 9Place the smallest sheet of phyllo on top of the filling, brush with olive oil, and place the final sheet of phyllo on top, and brush with oil.
Step 10Tuck or crimp edges of the dough, and bake at 340F (170C) for 1 hour.
Step 11The kreatopita is done when the corners of the crust don't stick to the pan.
Step 12Remove the pan from the oven and cover with a clean towel for 1 hour before serving.
Step 13Cut into 4-inch pieces and enjoy!