Bacon Waffle Bake
Get your holidays off to a perfect start with a delicious bacon waffle bake with Smithfield® bacon.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 12ounces Smithfield® Hometown Original Bacon, cooked and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8square waffle (4" square) (include frozen)s waffles, freshly made or frozen packaged, quartered
- 2tablespoons butter, divided
- 6large egg yolks egg yolks
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 1cup whipping cream
- ⅔cup maple syrup, divided
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups mixed fresh berries, such as blueberries, strawberries and blackberries
- 1teaspoon Powdered sugar
Step 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 3-quart oven-safe casserole (8 x 10-inch or similar) with 1/2 tablespoon butter. In large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk, cream, 1/3 cup syrup, vanilla and salt; reserve.
Step 2On ungreased rimmed baking pan, spread waffle pieces in even layer and bake for 12-15 minutes or until crisp and lightly toasted. Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
Step 3Add waffle pieces and bacon to buttermilk mixture and toss to coat evenly. Pour into prepared casserole and tightly cover with foil.
Step 4Bake for 45-50 minutes and remove foil. Melt remaining butter and brush over top of casserole and bake, uncovered, for another 10-15 minutes or until top is crisp and toasted. Top with fresh berries and remaining maple syrup, dusting with powdered sugar if desired, and serve warm.