Vegan Ice Cream
The combination of high-fat hemp and coconut milks gives this nondairy ice cream base an ultra-creamy texture, with a taste mild enough not to obscure any flavorings. The liquid sugar (corn syrup or agave syrup) along with a little vodka help to keep ice crystals from forming, giving the smoothest texture. If you can't find hemp milk, substitute cashew milk. It has a similar fat content, though the flavor is slightly less neutral. Nondairy ice cream is best eaten within a week of freezing.
- Serves: 1 person
- 2cups hemp or cashew milk
- 1(14.5-ounce) can coconut cream or whole coconut milk (not refrigerated nondairy beverage or light coconut milk)
- ½cup light corn syrup or substitute 1/3 cup agave syrup
- ½cup granulated sugar
- ½teaspoon kosher salt
- 1tablespoon vodka (optional)
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- Your choice of flavoring (see note)
Step 1In a medium pot, combine hemp or cashew milk, coconut cream, corn syrup, sugar and salt, and bring to a simmer. Simmer until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Let cool in the pot.
Step 2Transfer to a container and stir in vodka, if using, and vanilla. Chill for at least 4 hours or overnight. Transfer mixture to an ice cream maker and chill according to manufacturer’s instructions.