Eggplant and Chicken Lasagna
Get a delicious recipe for eggplant lasagna that can be made with chicken or turkey, depending on your preference.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1egg, slightly beaten
- ¼cup milk
- 1medium eggplant, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- ¼cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 2to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- ¼cup diced onion
- 1clove garlic , minced
- 2cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1(16-ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 1teaspoon dried whole oregano
- ½teaspoon salt
- 1 ½cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
- 1cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼cup grated Parmesan cheese
Step 1Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
Step 2In a bowl, whisk the egg and milk together. Dip the eggplant slices in the milk mixture and then dredge in breadcrumbs to coat thoroughly.
Step 3Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the eggplant slices in batches until browned on both sides, adding more oil if needed. Remove eggplant; drain on paper towels.
Step 4Saute onion and garlic in remaining oil; add tomato sauce, tomatoes, parsley, sugar, oregano, and salt. Cook over medium heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in chicken; remove from heat.
Step 5Arrange half of the eggplant slices in a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking dish; spoon half of the sauce mixture over eggplant. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and bake for 5 to 10 minutes longer to melt the cheese.