Sardinian Papassini Cookies
Sardinian holiday cookies.
- Serves: 60 persons
- 8ounces frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 8ounces water
- 1pound unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 8cups all-purpose flour, or as needed
- 1½ cups chopped walnuts
- 1cup white sugar
- 1cup raisins
- 3tablespoons grated orange zest
- ½tablespoon salt
- 4cups powdered sugar, or as needed
- ½cup milk, or as needed
- 1(1.75 ounce) package multicolored candy sprinkles, or as needed
Step 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Step 2Dilute thawed orange juice concentrate with water.
Step 3Cut butter into flour until texture resembles coarse crumbs. Add walnuts, white sugar, raisins, orange juice mixture, orange zest, and salt; mix together with your hands. Add more flour as needed until dough is not sticky.
Step 4Roll dough on a floured board into a square shape. Cut into diamond shapes or squares. Arrange on ungreased cookie sheets.
Step 5Bake in batches the preheated oven until edges are golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool, 15 to 20 minutes.
Step 6Meanwhile, combine powdered sugar and milk in a bowl. Frost cookies and add sprinkles.