Fasulia: Green Bean and Beef Stew
Recipe for fasulia, a Middle Eastern green bean and meat (beef or lamb) stew in spiced tomato sauce.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1pound stew meat (lamb or beef, cubed)
- 1medium onion (peeled and chopped)
- 2cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1(16-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- ½teaspoon ground cumin
- 1teaspoon ground coriander
- ⅛teaspoon ground allspice
- 1teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ½teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 8cups water
- 1(4-ounce) can tomato puree
- 1pound green beans (frozen or fresh)
- Optional: 1/4 flour (with a splash of water)
Step 1Add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the cubed stew meat and brown on all sides.
Step 2Add in the chopped onion and minced garlic.
Step 3Add the crushed tomatoes, stirring them in well with the meat, garlic, and onion.
Step 4Add the ground cumin, ground coriander, ground allspice, salt, and pepper.
Step 5Pour in the water and the tomato puree. Stir and combine well. Add the green beans and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2 hours, or until meat is tender and done.
Step 6The sauce should thicken slightly as it cooks. If it does not or if you would like a thicker sauce, whisk in a slurry comprised of 1/4 cup flour mixed with a little water until well combined. Then cook the sauce on high for a few minutes to allow the raw flour to cook out and the sauce to thicken.
Step 7Serve the stew over white rice and alongside a green salad.