Salted Lemon-Ginger Spritzer
A little sweet, lightly sour and a touch briny: This spritz is inspired by the salty lemonade found in Vietnam as a way to beat the heat. Without ice and ginger beer, this mix keeps well in the fridge, so consider making a large batch to help get you through the summer. If adding ginger kombucha, bear in mind that, though most brands are not legally considered alcoholic by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, they do contain trace amounts (up to 0.5 percent). If you're strictly abstaining, opt for something like non-alcoholic ginger beer or ginger ale.
- Serves: 1 person
- ¼lemon, seeds removed, coarsely chopped (skin, peel and all)
- Small pinch of kosher salt or fine sea salt
- 1tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1teaspoon freshly grated ginger (optional)
- Ginger beer or ginger kombucha, to taste
- Lemon wedge or slice of fresh ginger, for garnish
Step 1Place the lemon and salt in a large wine glass and using the back of a spoon, lightly muddle to break up and release some of the oils and juices. Add lemon juice and ginger (if using) and top with lots of ice and ginger beer. Garnish with lemon wedge or fresh ginger.