Pineapple fried rice
Add chunks of fresh pineapple to fried rice to transform it into something special. Serve on its own for a family dinner or as part of a banquet
- Serves: 4 persons
- 5 ½tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- 2eggs , beaten
- 2garlic cloves , crushed
- small bunch of spring onions , chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 400g cooked long-grain rice
- 85g frozen peas
- 2tsp sesame oil
- 2tbsp low-salt soy sauce
- 400g fresh pineapple , roughly chopped into chunks (about 1⁄2 medium pineapple)
Step 11 Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok. Add the eggs, swirling them up the sides, to make a thin omelette. Once cooked through, roll the omelette onto a chopping board and cut into ribbons.
Step 2Heat the remaining oil. Add the garlic, onions and five-spice. Stir-fry until sizzling, then add the rice (if using pouches, squeeze them first, to separate the grains), peas, sesame oil and soy. Cook over a high heat until the rice is hot, then stir through the pineapple and omelette ribbons.