Mexican-Style Shredded Chicken Soup
This easy and brightly flavored chicken soup recipe is inspired by the classic Mexican tortilla soup.
- Serves: 16 persons
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1large onion, chopped
- ½cup celery, chopped
- 1cup carrots, chopped
- 4large cloves garlic, minced
- 3boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6cups chicken stock
- 14ounces whole tomatoes in puree
- 2jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- ½teaspoon ground coriander
- ½teaspoon kosher salt
- 1teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Sour cream , grated Cheddar cheese, and broken tortilla chips, for garnish, optional
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven . Add onion, celery, and carrots and cook over medium-low heat for 8 minutes or until the onion starts to turn golden. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Step 3Add chicken breasts, chicken stock, tomatoes with their puree, jalapeños, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, and cilantro, if using.
Step 4Bring soup to a boil, then lower heat and cook at a low simmer .
Step 5After 15 minutes, remove chicken breasts from the soup with tongs and cool on a plate. When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred the meat and add back to the soup. Continue simmering soup until vegetables are tender.
Step 6Serve soup hot, garnished with optional toppings.