Asparagus Summer Soup
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and peeled
- 5tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 5cups chicken broth, divided
- 2leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1pound fresh spinach, stemmed, divided
- 1teaspoon white sugar
- 2½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼teaspoon salt
- ⅛teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1cup frozen green peas
- ½cup heavy whipping cream, or more to taste
Step 1Cut asparagus stalks into 1-inch pieces; reserve tips in a bowl.
Step 2Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 1/3 cup chicken broth and leeks; cover and cook until leeks are tender, about 5 minutes. Add asparagus stalks; cover and cook for 3 minutes.
Step 3Pour remaining 4 2/3 cups chicken broth into the Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until asparagus is very tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add 2 packed cups spinach and sugar; cook until spinach is tender, about 5 minutes.
Step 4Puree soup with an immersion blender until very smooth.
Step 5Heat remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour until well blended; cook for 1 minute.
Step 6Whisk flour mixture into the pureed soup until smooth and blended. Season soup with salt and white pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and stir in peas. Simmer until peas are barely tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in asparagus tips; simmer until tender, about 5 minutes.
Step 7Pour heavy cream into the soup. Cook until heated through but not boiling, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in remaining spinach; cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.