Pasta Fredda with Cherry Tomatoes, Anchovies and Herbs
Italian cooks are famous for occasionally sneaking a bit of anchovies into a cooked tomato sauce to add flavor and brightness. It works well for this extremely simple summer pasta of marinated uncooked cherry tomatoes.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1small red onion, finely diced, about 1/2 cup
- Salt and pepper
- 4anchovy fillets, rinsed and chopped, about 1 tablespoon
- 2garlic cloves, sliced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 2tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4tablespoons fruity extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to drizzle
- 1teaspoon chopped fresh summer savory or marjoram
- 1 ½pounds cherry tomatoes, in halves or quarters
- 1pound dry pasta, such as spaghetti or linguine
- Handful of torn basil leaves
Step 1Put red onion in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add anchovies, garlic, red pepper and vinegar. Stir in olive oil and savory. Add the cherry tomatoes, season with salt, and toss well to coat. Keep mixture cool (or refrigerate) for up to 3 hours.
Step 2Boil pasta in a large pot of well-salted water until al dente, then drain and transfer to a wide low pasta bowl. Add cherry tomato mixture and toss well to coat. Drizzle with a little more olive oil and serve at room temperature, garnished with basil.