Easy Leftover Chicken and Potato Casserole
Leftover chicken and potatoes team up to make this tasty casserole. The combination comes together with a basic white sauce and vegetable mixture.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 3tablespoons butter
- 8ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 1cup onions (chopped)
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1cup milk (or half-and-half)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- 2cups diced potatoes (cooked)
- 2cups diced chicken (cooked)
- Optional: 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- Optional: 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- Optional: 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded; or Monterey Jack cheese)
Step 1Gather the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C/Gas Mark 4.
Step 2Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish.
Step 3Heat the butter in a large, heavy skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onions and cook until tender and lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
Step 4Stir the flour into the pan. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes.
Step 5Gradually add the milk or half-and-half, stirring, and cook until thickened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add pepper and salt.
Step 6In the prepared baking dish, combine the cooked potatoes, chicken, and mushroom sauce mixture.
Step 7If using the breadcrumb topping, toss the breadcrumbs with the melted butter until well coated.
Step 8Top the casserole with the buttered breadcrumbs or sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Step 9Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Enjoy.