Sheet-Pan Gochujang Chicken and Roasted Vegetables
Gochujang, a Korean fermented chile paste, enlivens a straightforward dinner of roast chicken and vegetables with a salty, spicy and umami-rich layer of flavor. Freshly grated ginger, sliced scallions and quick-pickled radishes elevate the flavor even further. This recipe calls for a wintry mix of squash and turnips, but equal amounts of root vegetables like carrots, potatoes and beets, or lighter vegetables like cauliflower, brussels sprouts or broccoli will work well too.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 3tablespoons gochujang
- 2tablespoons soy sauce
- 1(1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated (about 1 tablespoon)
- 3tablespoons neutral oil, like grapeseed or canola, plus more for drizzling
- 2pounds squash, such as butternut, acorn or delicata, unpeeled, seeded and cut into 2-inch pieces (about 5 loose cups)
- 1pound turnips, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces (about 3 1/2 loose cups)
- 10scallions, ends trimmed, green and white parts separated, but not chopped
- Kosher salt
- 2 ½to 3 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, drumsticks or breasts, patted dry
- 1bunch radishes (about 10 ounces), trimmed
- 2tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1tablespoon sesame oil (optional)
- Steamed rice (optional)
Step 1Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Combine the gochujang, soy sauce, ginger and 3 tablespoons oil in a medium bowl or resealable bag. Add the squash, turnips and scallion whites, toss to coat with glaze, or seal bag and shake to coat. Lightly season with salt and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Season the chicken with salt and toss to coat in whatever is left of the glaze in the bowl or bag. Arrange the chicken pieces skin-side up between the vegetables on the sheet.
Step 2Roast until vegetables are tender, chicken is cooked through and the skin crispy and browned in spots, about 40 minutes.
Step 3While the chicken cooks, thinly slice the scallion greens. Using a sharp knife or a mandoline, cut the radishes into thin rounds. In a small bowl, toss the sliced scallion greens and radishes with the rice vinegar and sesame oil, if using. Season to taste with salt and set aside to lightly pickle.
Step 4Top the roast chicken and vegetables with the quick-pickled scallion-radish mix and transfer to serving plates. Serve with steamed rice, if desired.