Thai Grilled Salt and Pepper Squid
This recipe for Thai salt and pepper squid is fast and delicious to cook up on the grill, plus it's low-fat compared to deep-fried calamari.
- Serves: 2 persons
- ½to 3/4 pound calamari tubes (cleaned and prepared, fresh or frozen)
- ½teaspoon ground white pepper (available in most spice aisles)
- ½teaspoon sea salt or regular salt
- ¼teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼to 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes (to taste)
- 1teaspoon garlic powder
- ½teaspoon onion powder or onion salt
- 1tablespoon coconut oil (or other vegetable oil)
- ½lime (sliced into wedges)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon fish sauce (to taste)
- Garnish: 1/4 cup fresh coriander (lightly chopped)
- Garnish: Thai Sweet Chili Sauce for dipping (available at most supermarkets)
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Using a knife, cut open the calamari tubes so that they lie flat.
Step 3Rinse the calamari and place on a tea towel or absorbent paper. Pat them dry. Dry them as well as possible, otherwise, the spice mixture won't stick.
Step 4Cut the calamari lengthwise into strips (approx. 1 inch wide), and place in a mixing bowl .
Step 5Drizzle the oil over the calamari and stir, ensuring all surfaces are covered. Mix the dry spices together in a cup or small bowl, then sprinkle over the oiled calamari.
Step 6Toss until all the calamari strips are coated in the spices. Set aside to marinate while you heat up the grill.
Step 7Lightly brush your grill with oil, then cook the calamari until edges curl up (some strips may curl completely into a circle)—this only takes 2 to 3 minutes per side, depending on the heat of your grill.
Step 8Place the calamari on a serving platter (if desired, over a bed of baby greens). Cut the 1/2 lime into wedges and squeeze over.
Step 9Taste-test the calamari. If not salty enough, sprinkle over a little fish sauce or more salt. If too salty for your taste, add more fresh-squeezed lime juice. Add a final sprinkling of fresh coriander.
Step 10Serve with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce for dipping. Note that this dish can be served over salad or with rice for a complete meal. Enjoy!