Spicy Mussels With Cauliflower, Basil and Lime
This recipe is by Melissa Clark and takes 30 minutes. Tell us what you think of it at The New York Times - Dining - Food.
- Serves: 2 persons
- ½small head cauliflower
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2small shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2small red Thai chiles or other hot red chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 2large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt, as needed
- 2pounds mussels, scrubbed
- ½cup torn basil leaves
- Juice of 1 lime, more as needed
- Crusty bread, for serving
Step 1Cut the cauliflower into small 1/2-inch florets; dice the stems. (You should have about 2 cups; save any extra for another purpose.)
Step 2In a large pot over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the cauliflower, shallots, chiles, garlic and a large pinch kosher salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
Step 3Add the mussels to the pot. Cover and cook over medium-high until most mussels have opened, 7 to 10 minutes. Discard any unopened mussels.
Step 4Stir in basil and lime juice. Season with kosher salt. Serve immediately, with crusty bread for soaking up juices.