Oven Braised Beef Short Ribs With Rice Recipe
In this recipe, beef short ribs are browned and baked with rice. The rice and vegetables are added halfway through the baking, making a whole meal.
- Serves: 6 persons
- For the Ribs:
- 3to 4 pounds beef short ribs, cut into serving-size pieces
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the Rice and Veggies:
- ¾cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- ½cup chopped onion
- ½cup chopped celery
- ¼cup chopped green bell pepper
- For the Sauce:
- 2teaspoons beef base, or bouillon
- 1teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼teaspoon dried leaf thyme, crushed
- 2 ¼cups water
- 1 ½teaspoons salt
- ⅛teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Step 1In a heavy skillet, cook short ribs for about 30 minutes, turning frequently to brown all sides. Season short ribs with salt and pepper.
Step 2Transfer short ribs to a large baking dish or casserole. Cover and bake at 325 F for 1 hour.
Step 3In the same skillet, combine rice, onion, celery and green bell pepper; cook until rice is browned lightly.
Step 4Remove ribs from oven after baking 1 hour; drain. Remove short ribs from baking dish. Place rice and vegetable mixture in the casserole then top with the short ribs.
Step 5In a saucepan, combine beef base, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, 2 1/4 cups water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil. Pour over the ribs; cover and bake short ribs 1 hour longer.