Chile-Butter Chicken With Vinegared Potatoes
A deceptively simple sheet-pan dinner, potatoes get tossed with tangy distilled white vinegar and topped with a chicken slathered in a garlicky chile butter (while you’re at it, let the potatoes have some, too). From there, you pop it into a 425-degree oven and let it do its thing. The result is a juicy, golden-brown chicken with slight heat from the chile and a touch of smoke from paprika, alongside potatoes that are equal parts tender and crisp. Less, you’ll see, really can be more.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1(3 1/2-pound) chicken, or 3 1/2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken parts
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 6tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2tablespoons olive oil, plus more as needed
- 2teaspoons red-pepper flakes
- 1teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- 2garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 ½pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 5), scrubbed and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- ¼cup distilled white vinegar
- 1cup cilantro or parsley, tender leaves and stems, coarsely chopped
- 2scallions, thinly sliced
Step 1Heat oven to 425 degrees. Season chicken with salt and pepper; set aside.
Step 2Melt butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a small pot over medium heat. Add red-pepper flakes, paprika and garlic and swirl to combine. Let sizzle a minute or 2 to really infuse the butter, and remove from heat.
Step 3Scatter potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet, toss with vinegar, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with a bit of olive oil.
Step 4Place chicken on top of potatoes, breast side up, and drizzle with the chile butter, drizzling any extra butter onto the potatoes. Using your hands or a spatula, give the potatoes a little toss to get that butter evenly distributed.
Step 5Place in oven and roast until chicken and potatoes are deeply golden brown, and chicken is cooked through, 45 to 55 minutes for a whole chicken, 40 to 45 minutes for parts.
Step 6Remove from oven and let chicken rest on potatoes for a few minutes so the juices mingle with the potatoes. Carve the chicken (or slice the pieces) and transfer to a large plate or platter along with potatoes. Scatter with herbs and scallions before serving.