Charred Okra Salad With Garlicky Yogurt
Broiling okra until golden crisps it nicely throughout and chars it at the edges. In this recipe, it’s then spiced with cumin and turned into a salad filled with herbs, lettuces, tomatoes and other vegetables. Dressed with yogurt and topped with spicy cayenne onions, it makes a flavorful and unusual side dish or a light, vegetable-filled meal.
- Serves: 3 persons
- 2limes, halved
- 1medium red onion, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper
- ¼teaspoon ground cayenne, plus more to taste
- 1 ¼pounds okra pods (about 7 cups), washed, stem ends trimmed, pods halved lengthwise
- 3to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 ¼teaspoons ground cumin, plus more to taste
- ¼cup whole-milk plain yogurt
- 1garlic clove, finely grated or minced
- 2cups baby lettuces, Little Gem or Boston lettuce, washed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1cup arugula or radicchio, washed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1cup coarsely chopped mixed herbs, such as cilantro, basil and dill
- ¾cup thinly sliced cucumber
- ¾cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
Step 1Squeeze the juice of half a lime into a bowl and add the red onion slices, then stir in honey, a large pinch each of salt and pepper, and cayenne. Let sit at room temperature while preparing the other ingredients (or for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to meld). Stir occasionally. Before serving, taste and add more salt or squeeze in more lime juice, if you like.
Step 2Heat the broiler and line a sheet pan with foil. Add okra to the pan, drizzle with enough oil to coat the pods and sprinkle with salt, tossing well. Arrange okra into one layer. Broil until tender and charred, 5 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle with cumin right out of the oven while still hot. Taste and add more salt or cumin, if you like. Let cool slightly.
Step 3While the okra broils, make the dressing: In a small bowl, combine yogurt, garlic and a squeeze or two of lime juice. Slowly whisk in 3 to 4 tablespoons of oil until the dressing has the texture of heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Step 4Assemble the salad: In a large bowl, combine lettuce, arugula, herbs, cucumber and tomato. Season to taste with a squeeze of lime juice, a little more olive oil to coat the vegetables, and salt and pepper, tossing well.
Step 5To serve, place salad on individual plates. Top with okra. Drizzle with yogurt dressing, and garnish with some of the cayenne onions. Serve immediately.