Instant Pot® Chicken Stew with Ancient Grains
This stew is made using a blend of rice called “ancient grains” consisting of brown rice, pearled wheat berries, red rice, and wild rice. It is fast to make with the help of rotisserie chicken. Although, you can certainly use boneless skinless chicken breasts as well. Serve with crusty bread or dumplings if desired.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1tablespoon salted butter
- 1medium onion, diced
- 2cloves garlic, minced, or more to taste
- 1cup ancient grains blend
- 3large carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 3stalks celery, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4cups unsalted chicken stock
- 3cups cooked and shredded rotisserie chicken
- kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½cup heavy cream
Step 1Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®) and select Saute function. Melt butter in the hot pot; cook onion and garlic until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in ancient grains, carrots, and celery. Pour in chicken broth and add cooked chicken, salt, and pepper. Cancel Saute function.
Step 2Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 20 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
Step 3Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, about 10 minutes. Release remaining pressure carefully using the quick-release method, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid. Stir in cream. Select Saute function and heat soup until cream is warmed through.