Polvarones are a Puerto Rican Christmas cookie.
- Serves: 36 persons
- ½cup white sugar
- ½cup butter
- ½cup shortening
- 1tablespoon almond extract
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2tablespoons colored sugar, or as desired
- 2tablespoons sprinkles, or as desired
- 2tablespoons guava paste, or as desired
Step 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Step 2Beat white sugar, butter, and shortening together in a bowl using an electric mixer until creamy. Mix in almond extract. Add flour in batches, kneading the dough to thoroughly combine.
Step 3Roll dough into walnut-size balls and place 2 inches apart onto baking sheets. Make a well in each cookie with a wooden spoon handle. Sprinkle colored sugar, sprinkles, and guava paste into the wells.
Step 4Bake in the preheated oven until lightly golden, 16 to 20 minutes.