Strawberry cake made with a mix and coconut, along with strawberry gelatin and fresh or frozen strawberries.
- Serves: 16 persons
- 1box white or yellow cake mix (approx. 18 to 21 ounces)
- 1cup vegetable oil
- 4large eggs
- 1cup flaked coconut
- 1(3 oz.) package strawberry flavored gelatin
- ½cup milk
- 1cup strawberries (mashed, fresh or frozen; if using frozen, drain some of the juice off and reserve)
- 1cup pecans (chopped)
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Icing:
- 1(8 oz.) package cream cheese (room temperature)
- 4tablespoons butter
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½cup chopped pecans
- ½cup strawberries (mashed, drain and reserve juice)
- 5to 6 cups powdered sugar (sifted, 1 to 1 1/2 pounds)
Step 1Mix cake mix with strawberry-flavored gelatin.
Step 2Add oil, eggs, coconut, gelatin, and milk; and beat until well blended.
Step 3Stir in 1 cup mashed strawberries and 1 cup pecans.
Step 4Bake in 3 generously greased and floured 8- or 9-inch round layer pans at 350 F for 35 minutes, or until cake tests done .
Step 5To make the frosting, cream together cream cheese and butter; mix in vanilla and powdered sugar until firm but spreadable. Stir in drained strawberries and pecans.
Step 6Drizzle cooled layers with reserved juice then spread with a layer of icing; ice sides and top.
Step 7Store cake in an airtight container or wrapping; refrigerate. Lightly touch cake in the center with a finger; if it springs back, the cake is done.