Ground Beef Casserole With Potatoes and Cheese
Don't be surprised when this savory, cheesy casserole becomes a fast family favorite. It's the perfect dish for potlucks and family gatherings.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1pound extra-lean ground beef (90% or better)*
- 1cup onion (chopped)
- 1can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2teaspoons salt
- 1 ½cups corn kernels or 1 can (15 ounces) (drained)
- 16ounces diced frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed, or about 3 to 4 cups mashed potato or cooked diced potato
- ¼cup flour
- 1green bell pepper (chopped)
- 4tablespoons butter (melted)
- 2cups sharp or mild Cheddar cheese (shredded)
Step 1Gather all ingredients.
Step 2Preheat oven to 375 F. Combine beef, onion, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, and salt.
Step 3In a separate bowl, combine corn kernels, potatoes, flour, melted butter, and chopped green bell pepper.
Step 4Pat beef mixture into a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan; top with corn and potato mixture.
Step 5Bake uncovered in center of oven for 45 minutes; sprinkle with cheese and bake casserole 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until browned and potatoes are tender. If you like the cheese to form a bubbly, brown crust, broil casserole on high for an additional 2 minutes. *If the ground beef is not extra lean, you might want to brown it first. Brown the beef with the onion in a large skillet over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain well and then mix it with the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Proceed with the recipe.