Smoked Trout and Beet Salad With Pink Caviar
This pretty winter salad gets an upgrade with a garnish of trout roe, sometimes known as pink caviar. Salmon roe is an option, too, as is a dab of relatively inexpensive paddlefish caviar. Make the salad as a first course composed on individual plates, or, for a stand-up cocktail affair, serve a small amount of the mixture spooned into the sturdy red leaves.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1small shallot, finely diced
- 1teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½pounds medium yellow beets
- 2tender celery stalks, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- Salt and pepper
- Radicchio, Treviso or red endive leaves
- 5ounces smoked trout fillets, or more if desired
- 4red radishes, very thinly sliced
- 1hard-boiled egg, finely chopped (optional)
- 2ounces trout roe, salmon roe or paddlefish caviar (about 3 tablespoons)
- 2tablespoons snipped chives
- Dill sprigs, for garnish
Step 1Make the vinaigrette: Put shallots, mustard, lemon zest and vinegars in a small bowl and stir together. Season with salt and pepper. Leave for 5 minutes to macerate, then whisk in oil. Set aside.
Step 2Prepare the salad: Scrub beets, then simmer in abundant salted water until tender when pierced with a skewer, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and cool slightly. When beets are still somewhat warm, rub off and discard skins. Trim any rough bits with a paring knife.
Step 3Cut beets into half-moon slices, 1/4-inch thick, and place in a medium bowl. Add celery slices. Season with salt and pepper and dress with half the vinaigrette. Toss well with your hands to coat.
Step 4Arrange salad leaves on individual plates, then distribute beet mixture. Break smoked trout fillets into rough 1-inch pieces and arrange over beets. Scatter a few radish slices over each salad. Add some chopped egg, if using. Sprinkle lightly with salt and drizzle with remaining vinaigrette.
Step 5Top each salad with a generous teaspoon of trout roe and sprinkle with chives and dill sprigs.