Pasta With Chorizo, Chickpeas and Kale
Packed with the intense flavors of garlic, paprika and salt, dried chorizo sets the flavor profile of this pasta. First, the chorizo sears in a skillet to render some of its fat and flavor, then chickpeas, scallions and kale soak up its spices. Salty Manchego cheese maintains the Spanish vibes, but Parmesan or pecorino work equally well. While eight ounces of pasta might not seem like a lot, meaty chickpeas and hearty kale complete the dish.
- Serves: 4 persons
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 8ounces fusilli or other short pasta
- ¼cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 7to 8 ounces dried chorizo, thinly sliced
- 1(15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1bunch scallions (6 to 8), thinly sliced
- 1bunch curly kale, collard greens or mustard greens, stems removed, leaves torn into bite-size pieces
- Shaved Manchego, for serving
Step 1Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package instructions until al dente.
Step 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add chorizo and cook, stirring, until blistered and oil is bright orange, about 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chorizo to a medium bowl.
Step 3Add chickpeas and scallions to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until chickpeas begin to blister, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer chickpeas and scallions to the bowl.
Step 4Add kale to skillet, season with salt and pepper and cook, tossing, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer pasta to skillet along with 1 cup pasta water and cook over medium-high, tossing with kale, until liquid reduces and coats the pasta, about 2 minutes.
Step 5Return chorizo, chickpeas and scallions to skillet and toss to combine. Drizzle with a little olive oil and top with Manchego to serve.