Extra Special Three-Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
This extra-special macaroni and cheese is made with a mixture of three cheeses: cheddar, Parmesan, and goat cheese, along with mixed herbs.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 8ounces elbow macaroni (about 2 cups raw)
- 4tablespoons butter (divided)
- 2tablespoons flour
- 2cups milk
- 1to 2 tablespoons fresh chopped herbs (or 2 teaspoons dried leaf herbs; thyme, sage, chives, etc.)
- ½teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4ounces goat cheese (with herbs or plain)
- 8ounces sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 4ounces shredded Parmesan cheese (divided)
- 1cup soft breadcrumbs
Step 1Grease a 2-quart baking dish .
Step 2Heat the oven to 350 F.
Step 3Cook macaroni in salted boiling water following package directions. Drain, rinse, and set aside.
Step 4In a large saucepan , melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly; continue cooking and stirring until slightly thickened. Add the herbs, salt, and pepper, then stir in the goat cheese and cheddar. Stir in about 3 ounces of the Parmesan cheese; set the rest aside for the topping. Continue cooking and stirring the sauce until the cheeses have melted.
Step 5Add the drained macaroni to the sauce and spoon it into the prepared baking dish.
Step 6Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and toss with the breadcrumbs and the remaining Parmesan cheese. Mix until well blended and the crumbs are thoroughly coated with butter.
Step 7Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the casserole.
Step 8Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until the casserole is browned and bubbling around the edges.