Vegetarian Moroccan Mixed Vegetable Tagine
This mixed vegetable Moroccan tagine is easy to make and is a lovely vegetarian main dish. Use carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, potatoes, and onions.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1onion (sliced into rings)
- 2tomatoes (thickly sliced)
- 4carrots (peeled and cut in half lengthwise or sliced)
- 2or 3 small zucchini (cut in half lengthwise or thickly sliced)
- 1or 2 large potatoes (peeled and quartered or cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices)
- 1teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1teaspoon ginger
- ½teaspoon pepper
- ½teaspoon turmeric
- Optional: a pinch of saffron threads (crumbled)
- ¼cup olive oil (or argan oil )
- Optional: a handful of red or green olives
- 1cup water
- Garnish: 1 tablespoon chopped parsley or cilantro
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Wash and slice the onion, tomato, carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, and potatoes.
Step 3Place the carrots, zucchini, and potatoes in a bowl. Add the salt, ginger, pepper, turmeric, and optional saffron threads. Toss to coat the vegetables evenly.
Step 4Pour half of the oil into the base of a tagine or in a skillet. Add the onion slices and top with the tomato slices.
Step 5Arrange the vegetables in conical fashion on top the tomatoes. First, add the carrots, then the potatoes, then the zucchini.
Step 6Add the optional olives, if using. Drizzle the remaining oil over the arranged vegetables.
Step 7Rinse the spices from the bowl which held the potatoes by swirling one cup of water in the bowl. Add this water to the tagine or skillet and cover.
Step 8Place over medium-low to medium heat (use a diffuser between a tagine and the burner) and bring to a simmer. It's normal for this to take 15 or 20 minutes if cooking in clay, so stay patient.
Step 9Once you hear the tagine simmering, adjust the heat to the lowest temperature necessary for maintaining a simmer. Allow the tagine to cook undisturbed for about one to 1.5 hours. Check to see that the vegetables are tender, and reduce any excess liquid if desired.
Step 10Garnish the tagine with the chopped parsley or cilantro.
Step 11Serve the tagine warm and enjoy.