Pear Relish With Peppers
This pear relish recipe is made with ground up pears, peppers, and onions, along with vinegar, sugar, salt, and pickling spices.
- Serves: 32 persons
- 12pounds firm pears (about 40 pears), peeled, cored, and quartered
- 2green bell peppers, seeded and quartered
- 2red bell peppers, seeded and quartered
- 2pounds onions (about 7 to 8 medium), peeled and quartered
- 5cups white vinegar
- 4cups sugar
- 2 ½tablespoons salt
- 2tablespoons whole mixed pickling spice
- 2tablespoons turmeric
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Using a food processor, grind the pears, bell peppers, and onions together; you will need to do this in batches.
Step 3Put the ground mixture in a colander to drain off all excess liquid.
Step 4In a large nonreactive kettle, combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, pickling spices, and turmeric. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
Step 5Add the ground-up fruit and vegetables to the kettle and return to a boil. Boil for an additional 15 minutes.
Step 6Spoon the relish into hot sterilized jars and seal quickly.
Step 7Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Step 8Serve the relish with roasted or grilled meats and enjoy.