Tostadas de Salpicon (Shredded Beef)
Tostadas are a common dinner at our home. I fry my own corn tortillas since I think they taste so much better than store bought. I also fry my own pinto beans in bacon drippings. But for ease and convenience store bought will do. We top our tostadas with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, and salsa.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1pound beef chuck roast
- 2cups beef broth
- 4medium Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1medium onion, diced
- 2large bay leaves
- 2peppers serrano chile peppers
- 2medium limes, juiced
- 2tablespoons white vinegar
- 1teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1cup refried beans, warmed
- 8fried tortillas
- 1cup shredded lettuce, or to taste
- 2medium tomatoes, chopped
- ½cup sour cream, or to taste
- ½cup salsa, or to taste
Step 1Combine chuck roast, broth, tomatoes, onion, bay leaves, serrano chiles, lime juice, vinegar, oregano, salt, and pepper in a large pot pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
Step 2Remove roast from pot and shred meat with 2 forks.
Step 3To assemble tostadas, spread a layer of refried beans on tortillas, layer shredded beef, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream and salsa.