Basic Herb Salsa
Serve this bright, simple sauce alongside any grilled fish, shellfish or meat. Use as a garnish for rice, quinoa or farro. Drizzle over roasted sweet potatoes, carrots and beets. Or spoon over poached eggs and hash.
- Serves: 1 person
- 1cup finely chopped parsley (1 3/4 ounces/50 grams)
- 1 ½teaspoons finely grated lemon zest (from 1 small lemon)
- ¼to 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- ⅔cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1garlic clove
- 2tablespoons red wine vinegar, more to taste
Step 1Combine parsley, zest, salt and olive oil in a medium mixing bowl. Use a rasp grater to finely grate garlic into the bowl. Stir to combine.
Step 2Just before serving, stir in vinegar. Taste and adjust salt and acid as needed. (Acid will dull the vibrant flavor and color of the herbs over time, so if you plan to store some of the sauce for future use, add acid to only the portion you’re using. Sauce, without vinegar, will keep in the refrigerator up to 2 days; bring to room temperature before using.)