Jesse's Spicy Veggie and Turkey Meatball Stew
This is a delicious blend of mixed vegetables and turkey meatballs that is guaranteed to make you smile!
- Serves: 12 persons
- 2pounds ground turkey
- 5tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2large green bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1large red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1large yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2large onions, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2cups sofrito sauce
- 1(15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4medium potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 4carrots, sliced
- 2cups broccoli
- 5cups water
- 1cup salsa
- 16ounces low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
Step 1Roll the ground turkey into small meatballs. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook meatballs 5 minutes, or until evenly browned. Drain, and set aside.
Step 2Heat remaining oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook the green bell peppers, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and onions until tender. Stir in the sofrito and tomato sauce, and continue cooking until heated through. Mix in potatoes, carrots, and broccoli. Pour in the water and salsa, and bring to a boil. Place meatballs in the pot. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes. Top with mozzarella cheese to serve.