This moist cornbread is nicely flavored with minced jalapeño peppers, shredded cheese, and cream-style corn. Serve it with beans, chili, or stew.
- Serves: 8 persons
- ¼cup canola oil plus 1 tablespoon for the skillet
- 3large eggs
- 1cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk , 9 ounces
- 1small can (8 ounces) cream-style corn, or about 1 cup
- 1tablespoon finely minced onion, red or yellow
- 2tablespoons finely minced jalapeño peppers
- 1 ½cups stone-ground cornmeal
- ¼cup all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon salt
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- ½teaspoon baking soda
- 1cup (4 ounces) finely shredded Cheddar Jack cheese blend or a mild or sharp Cheddar cheese
Step 1Put 1 tablespoon oil in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet and put it in the oven. Heat the oven to 425 F.
Step 2In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with 1/4 cup oil, the buttermilk, cream-style corn, minced onion, and minced jalapeño peppers.
Step 3In another bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cheese. Blend well.
Step 4Carefully take the hot skillet out of the oven and set it on a metal rack.
Step 5Combine the egg and buttermilk mixture and the dry mixture. Stir just until blended. Pour into the hot pan.
Step 6Return the pan to the oven and bake the cornbread for about 20 to 25 minutes, until browned and crisp around the edges.
Step 7Cut into wedges and serve.