Mediterranean Chicken and Pepper Casserole
Vegetables, chicken breast, pasta, and Italian cheeses are baked until bubbly for a delicious one-pot dinner for two. I like to serve this with a light salad and crisp white wine.
- Serves: 2 persons
- 3cups uncooked mafalda pasta
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1small yellow onion, diced
- 1small yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1small red bell pepper, diced
- 8cherry tomatoes
- ¼cup Italian green olives
- 1tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1teaspoon grated lemon zest
- ½teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- ¼cup grated Grana Padano cheese
Step 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Step 2Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until flexible but not soft, about 5 minutes. Drain.
Step 3Heat oil in a stovetop- and oven-safe casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook and stir chicken strips until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add onion, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, olives, thyme, lemon zest, and pepper flakes. Cook and stir until the onions have begun to look translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the half-cooked pasta.
Step 4Sprinkle Pecorino Romano and Grana Padano over the pasta mixture.
Step 5Bake in the preheated oven until bubbly and the cheeses have melted and browned, about 15 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.