Matcha, or powdered green tea, makes this pie a verdant green. Melissa and Emily Elsen, the owners of Four & Twenty Blackbirds in Brooklyn, use a culinary grade matcha, which is less bitter and which you can find online. Serve the pie plain or with whipped cream.
- Serves: 8 persons
- ⅔cup/133 grams granulated sugar
- 1 ½tablespoons flour
- ¼teaspoon salt
- 2teaspoons matcha powder, preferably culinary grade
- ½cup/113 grams/1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 3eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- 2cups/470 milliliters heavy cream
- ½teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1par-baked 10-inch pie shell
- Whipped cream, for serving (optional)
Step 1Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Whisk together sugar, flour, salt and matcha powder.
Step 2Stir in butter, then beat in 3 eggs and 1 egg yolk, one at a time. Beat a couple of minutes more, stir in the cream and vanilla and strain into the pie shell.
Step 3Bake about 50 minutes, rotating it 180 degrees after about 35 minutes, until set around the edges but still wobbly in the center. Allow to cool.