Ground Cherry Salsa
I love salsa with a hint of natural sweetness and ground cherries are a perfect addition. This is a relatively mild salsa; if you like it spicier, don't remove the jalapeno seeds, or increase the amount of jalapeno. I use only organic produce, so I don't peel the cucumber.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1½ limes, juiced, or more to taste
- 2tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- ½cup ground cherries, husked and halved
- ½cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- ½finely chopped seeded cucumber
- 2tablespoons finely chopped cilantro, or more to taste
- 1dash passion fruit-jalapeno fruit vinegar (optional)
- salt to taste
Step 1Mix lime juice and red onion together in a bowl and let stand stand for about 5 minutes, as this mellows the raw onion taste.
Step 2Add ground cherries, cherry tomatoes, jalapeno pepper, cucumber, cilantro, vinegar, and salt to the bowl and mix well. Serve right away or cover and refrigerate until serving.