Vegetarian Yellow Split Pea Soup
Dairy-free vegetarian yellow split pea soup is a relatively quick, vegan alternative to traditional pea soup recipes that often use ham.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 6cups vegetable broth
- 1cup water, plus more if needed
- 2medium-sized onions (finely chopped)
- 2stalks celery (finely chopped)
- 2large carrots (finely chopped)
- 3cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 ½cups dried yellow split peas
- ½teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ¼teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
Step 1Place the broth, water, onions, celery, carrots, and garlic in a large stockpot over high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil.
Step 2Add the dried split peas, turn down the heat, and simmer for 35 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the peas are very soft. Add salt, cumin, red pepper powder, and black pepper to taste.
Step 3Using a potato masher or the back of a metal spoon, mash the peas for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until the soup is creamy, adding more water as necessary. Alternatively, you can choose to purée a little more than half of the soup in a blender and then mix it with the un-puréed portion.
Step 4Add more salt and pepper to taste and serve hot with bread or rice.