Chicken Marsala with Portobello Mushrooms
A restaurant-style Chicken Marsala with savory portobello mushrooms.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 8tablespoons butter, divided
- 2tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4portobello mushroom caps, sliced
- 1clove garlic, chopped
- 1tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1(14.5 ounce) can beef broth
- ½cup dry Marsala wine
- 1tablespoon browning sauce
- kosher salt, or to taste
- ¼teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 6skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
- 1pinch kosher salt and pepper to taste
- ¾cup all-purpose flour, or as needed
Step 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Step 2Melt 4 tablespoons butter and heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir the mushroom slices in the skillet until tender. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
Step 3Melt 1 tablespoon butter and heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the garlic and cook until tender, then gradually whisk in 1 tablespoon flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
Step 4Increase heat to high, and whisk in the beef broth, Marsala, and browning sauce. Season sauce with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring sauce to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Mix in the cooked mushrooms; you'll use the skillet to cook the chicken. Cover saucepan and remove from heat.
Step 5Season chicken with salt and pepper, and dredge chicken breasts in the flour. Over medium heat, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in the skillet used to cook the mushrooms. Cook the chicken 2 minutes per side, until browned. Arrange the chicken in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish, and cover with the sauce and mushroom mixture.
Step 6Cover baking dish, and bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until chicken juices run clear.