Spaghetti with tomatoes & walnuts
Serve up a bowl of spaghetti with aubergine, tomatoes, capers and walnuts for a fibre-rich, healthy and filling lunch that's part of our Healthy Diet Plan
- Serves: 4 persons
- 350g wholemeal spaghetti
- 2tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2aubergines (about 550g), each sliced into 4 lengthways, then cut into cubes
- 4large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3tbsp tomato purée
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 250ml vegetable stock, made with 1 tbsp bouillon powder (vegan, if needed)
- 330g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 30g pack of basil, chopped
- 1tbsp capers
- 50g walnut pieces, lightly toasted and chopped if large
Step 1Cook the spaghetti following pack instructions, then drain, reserving 150ml of the cooking water. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large non-stick pan over a medium heat. Add the aubergine and garlic, stir well, then cover and cook for 8-10 mins, stirring a few times.
Step 2Mix in the tomato purée and vinegar, and cook for 2-3 mins more. Pour in the stock, then cover and cook for a further 10-15 mins until the aubergine is tender when pierced with a knife.
Step 3Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for a few minutes more until softened but still holding their shape. Stir in the basil, capers and walnuts, then toss through the spaghetti, adding a little of the reserved pasta water if needed to loosen. Serve half straightaway. Keep the remainder for another day. Will keep covered and chilled for up to four days. Reheat in a pan over a low heat with a splash of water until piping hot.