Basic Meat Pot Pie With Biscuit Topping
This simple leftover beef pie is baked with a flaky biscuit topping. Use diced beef or pork in the pie and substitute canned gravy for the homemade.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 4tablespoons (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 3tablespoons chopped onion
- 2tablespoons chopped green pepper
- ½cup diced celery
- 2cups beef (or pork, cooked and diced)
- 4tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2cups meat stock (or part milk for creamy filling)
- 1to 1 1/2 cups mixed vegetables (or diced cooked carrots)
- 9frozen or homemade refrigerator biscuits
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Heat the oven to 450 F (230 C/ Gas 8). Butter a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate or 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
Step 3In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and diced meat. Cook, stirring until the vegetables are tender.
Step 4Add the flour slowly and cook stirring constantly, for 3 to 5 minutes. The roux should be lightly browned. Add remaining ingredients and stir to blend. Bring it to a simmer.
Step 5Meanwhile, if making homemade biscuits, prepare the dough and cut them out.
Step 6Pour the meat mixture into the prepared baking dish. Cover with the ready-made or homemade biscuits.
Step 7Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until biscuits are browned.until biscuits are browned.