Grilled Pork Souvlaki
Souvlaki is part of the Greek experience. By far the most popular "fast" food in Greece, they are a relatively inexpensive lunch or dinner.
- Serves: 4 persons
- For the Marinade:
- ¼cup olive oil
- ¼cup red wine
- 2tablespoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1tablespoon dried mint
- 1tablespoon dried oregano
- 4cloves garlic, smashed and finely minced
- 1bay leaf, crumbled into tiny pieces
- For the Kabobs:
- 1pound pork shoulder, fat trimmed and cut into 1 1/4-inch cubes
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2to 3 wedges of lemon, for serving
Step 1In a large nonreactive bowl, whisk the marinade ingredients together. Add the pork cubes, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
Step 2If using wooden skewers , soak these in a shallow pan filled with water while the meat marinates.
Step 3Heat the grill to medium-high. Thread the meat onto the skewers (about 6 to 7 pieces per skewer). Season the pork with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Step 4Grill over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally until they are cooked through. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice over the meat before serving.