Southwest Squash Casserole
Easy to prepare, this recipe is flavorful yet can pack a 'punch' if you choose. Squash tend to be mild but by adding diced green chiles (and jalapenos if you want spicier) it's a surprisingly tasty recipe. It pleases a lot of people and has become a favorite at family gatherings.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 2pounds yellow squash, cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 2sweet onions, quartered and separated
- 1red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1(4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
- 2fresh jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1(8 ounce) package shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1cup sour cream
- ¾cup crushed tortilla chips
Step 1Lightly grease a large casserole dish. Arrange the squash, onions, and red bell pepper in the dish. Place in the microwave, and cook on High 10 minutes, stirring once, until tender.
Step 2Gently mix the mushrooms, green chile peppers, jalapeno peppers, cheese, and sour cream into the dish. Sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips. Cover dish, and cook in the microwave 10 minutes on Medium-high power, or until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through.