Streusel Topping Jam Swirl Coffee Cake
Coffee cake recipe with two different jams or preserves swirled through the batter, then it's topped with a crumb mixture of butter and brown sugar.
- Serves: 9 persons
- For the Batter:
- 2cups (9 ounces) all-purpose flour. sifted
- ½cup granulated sugar
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- ½teaspoon salt
- 5tablespoons (2.7 ounces), plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1large egg, beaten
- ¾cup milk
- ½cup apricot preserves
- ½cup peach preserves, or strawberry or pineapple preserves
- For the Topping:
- ⅔cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2tablespoons flour
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½cup walnuts , or pecans, chopped
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Preheat the oven to 375 F. Into a medium bowl, sift together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Step 3Cut in the butter with a pastry blender to make a fine crumbly mixture.
Step 4Add the beaten egg and milk; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
Step 5Spoon the batter into a generously buttered 9-inch-square pan.
Step 6Spoon both kinds of preserves over the batter and then swirl it through the batter with a knife.
Step 7Mix the streusel ingredients with a fork or fingers until crumbly.
Step 8Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the batter.
Step 9Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Step 10Cut into squares and serve while still warm.