Flaxseed Sourdough Crackers
Unfed sourdough starter mixes with flour and flaxseed to make versatile and delicious crackers that are perfect for a cheese plate or a simple snack.
- Serves: 5 persons
- ¼cup (60 grams) unfed sourdough starter discard
- 3tablespoons (25 grams) whole wheat pastry flour (plus more for rolling out the dough)
- ½cup (56 grams) flaxseed meal
- 4teaspoons (20 milligrams) olive oil
- ½teaspoon (2 grams) sea salt
- 1tablespoon (11 grams) seeds (sesame, poppy, sunflower, fennel, nigella, or a mix)
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a sheet pan with a silicone liner or parchment paper.
Step 3In a medium bowl, add all of the ingredients.
Step 4Stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until well mixed, about 1 minute.
Step 5Place the cracker dough in the center of the pan and press it down into a rectangle.
Step 6Dust the top of the dough with more flour.
Step 7Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a paper-thin rectangle (it’s OK if the shape isn’t perfect). You’re aiming for at least 1/16-inch thickness.
Step 8Use a pizza wheel or the tip of a sharp knife to score the dough into squares (so they break apart easily after they're baked).
Step 9Bake 15 to 18 minutes until golden and crisp.
Step 10Let cool for 15 minutes before breaking apart.
Step 11Serve immediately or store in a tightly sealed jar or tin for up to one week. Enjoy.