Lamb-Mushroom Kabobs with Greek Yogurt Mopping Sauce
Unique mopping sauce to complement merguez dishes, especially traditional Greek-style kabobs. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Not a lamb fan? Then try this mopping sauce on chicken kabobs as it works great with both! This recipe was cooked rotisserie-style on the Kabob Buddie by Troops BBQ.
- Serves: 7 persons
- 2cups olive oil
- 2cups red wine
- 3tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- kosher salt to taste
- 1½ pounds leg of lamb, trimmed with no tendons, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 18brown cremini mushrooms
- 1½ pounds merguez sausage, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1medium red onion, diced
- 5ounces Greek yogurt
- 1egg, beaten
- 1fluid ounce white wine
- ½ounce extra-virgin olive oil
- ½lemon, zested and juiced
- 1tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1tablespoon porcini mushroom powder
- 1teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1teaspoon dried Greek oregano
- 1pinch saffron
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Step 1Mix olive oil, red wine, parsley, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, mint, pepper, and kosher salt for the marinade together in a bowl. Coat leg of lamb cubes and mushrooms in separate bowls; marinate for 24 hours.
Step 2Whisk Greek yogurt, egg, wine, oil, lemon zest and juice, smoked paprika, mushroom powder, red pepper flakes, garlic, oregano, saffron, salt, and pepper for mopping sauce together heavily so everything mixes together. Refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours, to overnight.
Step 3Place a piece of lamb leg, red onion, cremini mushroom, merguez sausage, and another piece of red onion on 7 grill-safe skewers. Repeat with ingredients for as long as your skewer is able to handle and rotate evenly.
Step 4Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil the grate.
Step 5Place kabobs on the preheated grill to sear in juices and form a crust on lamb, rotating occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes.
Step 6Reduce grill temperature to medium-high. Coat kabobs with a generous layer of mopping sauce. Let brown and bubble and continue to coat until an instant-read thermometer inserted into a piece of sausage reads at least 142 degrees F (61 degrees C). The leg of lamb should come to 125 degrees F (52 degrees C) for medium-rare.