Gluten-Free Fadge (Irish Potato Rolls)
Fadge, an Irish potato roll, is tasty for breakfast or dinner. This easy gluten-free and dairy-free recipe can make use of leftover mashed potatoes.
- Serves: 12 persons
- ¾cup flour (all-purpose gluten-free blend like Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Mix)
- ¾teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon baking powder (gluten-free)
- 1pound potatoes (mashed, you can use unpeeled red potatoes)
- 1medium egg
- 2 ½tablespoons olive oil (or light or melted butter if you aren't avoiding dairy)
- Optional: 2 tablespoons minced chives
- For rolling: gluten-free flour blend
- For brushing tops: olive oil or melted butter
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2To bake gluten-free fadge, preheat oven to 400 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease with cooking spray.
Step 3Measure and blend dry ingredients in a small bowl. In a mixing bowl, blend mashed potatoes, egg, and olive oil or melted butter. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
Step 4Turn the fadge dough out onto a lightly gluten-free floured cutting board. Roll or press the fadge dough with hands into 1/2-inch thickness.
Step 5Use a round biscuit cutter to shape the fadge cakes or cut them with a knife in any shape you like. Place them on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
Step 6Brush with olive oil or melted butter and bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes. After baking for 15 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven and turn the fadge over so that both sides brown evenly. Serve warm.
Step 7To pan-fry fadge rather than baking, add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large skillet and heat over a medium burner. Add fadge and fry each side until golden brown.