Kale Fiesta Salad
I'm always looking for a new salad to make in bulk for the work week. I've made other kale salads but this is my favorite. Lots of texture, loads of flavor, colorful, crunchy, and sweet.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 2lemons, juiced, divided
- 1bunch fresh basil leaves, divided
- 2cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese, or to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1small onion, thinly sliced
- 2tablespoons vinegar
- 1tablespoon honey
- 1(8 ounce) package kale, ribs removed and leaves torn into pieces
- 1English cucumber, cubed
- 1large heirloom tomato, cubed
- 1large carrot, cubed
- 1cup fresh corn kernels
- ½(15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½(6 ounce) can black olives
Step 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Step 2Blend juice of half of 1 lemon, 1/2 of the basil, garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper together in a food processor until smooth. Place chicken thighs in a nonstick baking pan.
Step 3Bake naked chicken thighs in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and pour blended mixture over chicken.
Step 4Continue baking until chicken is no longer pink in the center and juices run clear, about 15 minutes more. Let cool for 10 minutes. Shred chicken using 2 forks. Set aside.
Step 5Heat remaining olive oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in onion and cook until softened and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add remaining lemon juice and basil, vinegar, and honey. Heat dressing thoroughly, about 5 minutes.
Step 6Mix chicken, kale, cucumber, tomato, carrot, corn, black beans, and olives together in a bowl.
Step 7Pour warm dressing onto salad; massage and toss until well coated.