Chicken and Wild Rice Soup with Leeks
I wanted a warm, silky soup that contained leeks but different than the standard leek soup recipes I kept seeing. So with the help of wild rice and rotisserie chicken, I came up with a delicious soup that can be changed up to a cook's preferences.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2leeks - white parts only, halved lengthwise and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1large onion, chopped
- 4cloves garlic, minced
- 2tablespoons chicken bouillon base (such as Better Than Bouillon®)
- 8cups hot water
- 1cup wild rice (such as Lundberg Wild Blend®)
- 1tablespoon poultry seasoning
- ¾pound cooked rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 3large multi-colored carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1red bell pepper, chopped
- 1cup heavy cream
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2sprigs fresh thyme, or to taste
Step 1Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add leeks, onion, and garlic. Saute until fragrant, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
Step 2Add chicken bouillon to hot water to dissolve. Add to the onion-leek mixture. Add rice and poultry seasoning. Stir well, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes.
Step 3Add chicken, carrots, and bell pepper to the soup. Cover and continue simmering until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Uncover and add heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with thyme.