Turkey and Lentil Soup
Here's a delicious and nutritious soup made with lentils, vegetables, and leftover holiday turkey. You can also use cooked chicken.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 2teaspoons canola oil
- 1large onion (finely chopped)
- 2medium carrots (diced)
- 1large stalk celery (sliced)
- 4ounces cremini mushrooms (sliced)
- 1tablespoon curry powder
- 1cup green lentils (rinsed)
- 4cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1(14 1/2-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 ½cups cooked and cubed white meat turkey
- Crusty bread for serving
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Heat the oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and mushrooms and sauté until softened.
Step 3Stir in the curry powder and cook for 1 minute. Add the lentils, followed by the chicken broth and canned tomatoes.
Step 4Bring the soup to a boil, then cover and simmer for 25 minutes, until the lentils are cooked.
Step 5Stir in the turkey and simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes.
Step 6Serve hot with some crusty bread and enjoy.