This pasta salad has everything you could want in the bowl: loads of ripe tomatoes, chunks of mozzarella, sliced olives, salami and plenty of fresh green herbs, all tossed in a garlicky, oregano-spiked red wine vinaigrette. Serve it the same day it’s made for the brightest flavor and best texture.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 3tablespoons red wine vinegar, plus more to taste
- 1garlic clove, finely grated or minced
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1pound short-cut pasta, such as farfalle
- 1pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 8ounces mozzarella, cubed (or use small mozzarella balls)
- 4ounces sliced salami, cut into 1/4-inch ribbons
- ¾cup sliced Kalamata olives
- ½cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 3tablespoons diced red onion
- 1cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley and basil leaves
Step 1Make the dressing: Combine vinegar, garlic, oregano and a big pinch each salt and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk in oil; taste and add more salt, pepper or vinegar as needed. Set aside.
Step 2Prepare the pasta: Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the package directions until the pasta is al dente. Drain well, transfer to the large bowl, and toss with the dressing while still warm.
Step 3Add tomatoes, mozzarella, salami, olives, cucumber and onion to the bowl and toss well; fold in herbs. Taste and season with more salt, pepper and vinegar, if you like.
Step 4Drizzle with olive oil and top with cracked black pepper just before serving.